Annyeonghaseyo (안녕하세요)

Though it has been only 7 days since the other YAVs and I have landed in Korea, this past week has been one of the most transformative times of my life. I have been learning so much about the history and traditions of South Korea while also discovering things about myself. The friends I have made so far will undoubtedly follow me throughout my year and hopefully beyond, and I am blessed and grateful to God for placing these people in my life. My experience so far has been overwhelmingly positive and I am especially interested in the societal dynamics between Koreans and foreigners, everyone has been so kind and welcoming, and I could not ask for a better introduction to my year of service. 
As I reflect on my first week here, I am reminded  of home by the hospitality of the Korean people, which has been much appreciated during my time of transition. I have two roommates, one is a fellow volunteer from Philadelphia, and the other is a Korean local with whom we have grown close. I am beyond appreciative for his generosity and willingness to share his language, home, and culture with us, and the hospitality he has shown reminds me of the hallmark “southern hospitality”. Although I am a foreigner, I feel I fit in most while riding the subway in Seoul, it truly makes me feel like I belong in this city. 

Joshua Wilson 















Comments

  1. What an amazing adventure. I am so proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Josh! Excited to continue our year of service!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, we're looking forward to keeping up with your adventures and learning more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Days

Hello everyone!