Hello everyone!

Hello! My name is Josh Wilson, and I am a native of Augusta, Georgia. I attended Georgia College and State University as an accounting major. I volunteered with many student organizations during my time at GCSU, including the Council of Student Ambassadors and the Student Life Organization as our school’s mascot. I also worked as a residential advisor (RA) in the honors residence hall for 3 years during my time with Georgia College. I learned about the YAV program while at a college conference in Montreat, North Carolina, and instantly fell in love with the idea and premise.

I enjoy making music and connecting with God through nature, as well as watching American football (Go Falcons), and spending time with family and friends. I love comedy and making people laugh, and I enjoy relating to others through food. I am most looking forward to the beautiful scenery and learning Korean this year, while also growing closer to God and being able to serve others through Him. I hope to achieve a deeper understanding of myself and those around me through my year of service, and am looking forward to this incredible opportunity. 


While I am still learning about my specific responsibilities, I will be working in partnership with

the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea. Rapid economic development in Korea has

created both striking wealth and immense poverty. Site placements help YAVs to consider the

cost to human rights in relationship to recent global-economic practices and helps volunteers

develop relationships with the minjung of Korea (downtrodden, marginalized, suffering, etc.).

Minjung theologians remind us that God calls us to recognize how those less privileged than

ourselves can be the face of Christ for us, a source of theology, and our salvation, rather than

merely recipients of the charity. This theology was developed in the struggle against military

dictatorship in South Korea during the heart of the democratization movement over several

decades.


I will be able to explore the ripple effects of Japanese Occupation, Soviet and US influence, the

Korean War, and the continued division and conflict between many competing systems. YAVs

will meet Koreans following God’s call for reconciliation. Therefore, a major focus of the Korea

YAV site will be “reverse-mission”, where instead of wealthy- mainly white - people going out to

change the “poor and unintelligent”, US volunteers will learn from and be transformed by

Koreans, especially learning how US Americans can examine ways conflict is perpetuated

around the world, but especially in Korea.


This year is intentionally crafted to be life-changing and transformational, both for me and for

the communities that will welcome me. It will involve living outside my comfort zone and what

is familiar to me. It will involve focusing on others. It will involve journeying in faith and

trusting God in new ways.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Days

Annyeonghaseyo (안녕하세요)